Monday, March 21, 2011

Finding My Balance


In class we have talked about many different mental illnesses. We have discussed mood disorders, bipolar, depression, schizophrenia, and OCD to name a few. A common term I keep hearing about is "finding balance". Balance is a key theme missing in most every case we have discussed thus far. The recovery phase of MI requires balance and I also see balance as a key role in determining the "revolving door" process discussed in class today. If a person with a MI maintains balance in their lives, the less likey a relapse might occur. So I got to thinking about balance and what balance means to my life? I am lucky in the fact that I am forced to mainitain some sort of balance between school, home life and personal time. My boys make sure of that. They demand attention and have needs that must be met. I am there mother and that is simply the way it is. This required attention takes me away from school work and the pressures of school. I am forced to put the books down for at least some part of the day. Something funny has been happening the past two weeks and I have just now put my finger on it. I have been happier in life lately. My dog Toby is getting fat and I decided to start walking him everyday. The boys go with me and this small decision to "break" from life and walk with the dog and boys has truly put balance back in my life. We walk, we talk, we smell the fresh air, we laugh and we get exercise. Everyone has a different set of balance needs. It depends on your situation and we should all sit down and really analyze what balance means to us. Balance is important for our mental health. If you don't have this balance I believe you are more prone to the mental illnesses that really can affect anyone at any time. Just like any physical disease, if balance can be a tool to help ward off MI, I will take it!! I wonder what balance aspects were missing in Robert from the film we watched today. The film documented his "recovery" or his attempt to live outside the hospital. Robert searched for a balance life of socializing with his brother, shopping, eating and also trying to live Indepentely. I think some heathly lifestyle choices such as exercising and good food habits seemed to be missing? I am sure in some of Roberts down cycles, exercising was the last thing of his list, but what if it was on top. Would this had made a difference? Balance=Good Mental Health so No Balance=? poor or no mental health. Imagine what this could lead to? Go......find your balance!!

If you need some ideas of how to create this balance in your life please double clik and review the website. There are also some great links to further explore this topic of balance.

1 comment:

  1. You bring up a very good point about life. Life’s stresses can make a person’s balance get out of wack, and sometimes it’s too hard to put it back in place. Like you, I have found that walking my dogs gives me a lot of calm. The other day I just wanted to take a nap when I get home from school, but my dog’s reminded me that it’s springtime outside, the trees & flowers are blooming, and the weather is perfect (No, they didn’t talk to me, but their puppy eyes told me that they wanted to go for a walk). So instead of sleeping, I put their leashes on and headed out the door. I was so refreshed after that walk. I was able to make dinner & do homework. I felt very productive that day.

    Just from what we have learned so far, many MIs begin around college age - just like Robert. It seems trying to balance all the major changes: leaving home, becoming independent, dealing with the pressures of college, and having not developed coping skills are all major causes of not being balance, therefore, MIs appear. Luckily institutions are not used as much as they were back at the time Robert was diagnosed.

    ReplyDelete