Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Gus

I recently had the pleasure of meeting Gus. As Gus made his way down the hallway at my fieldwork site, I saw the huge impact he had on the residents and staff as well. He didn't say much, actually didn't make a sound. The smiles he brought were contagious! I do believe that a few of the pt's. seemed to work harder at their activities, even seemed to press on for the ultimate goal. As Gus sat quietly waiting in the PT/OT lab, it was obvious he knew his place. He waited patiently for his turn- and he knew exactly when that was! When Ms. E finished her card game (working on the B UE), and Mr. M finished ROM activities, the hands were extended and Gus's time had arrived. His tail was wagging, and the smiles were everywhere! Gus had arrived!! I saw the joy, love, and the sheer power that this one big dog could bring to so many. It was amazing to see the powerful impact and comfort that he brought to the residents!

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you lead the reader on that "Gus" is a human being!! Cool effect. Can you comment more on the effect therapy dogs/animals have on therapy outcomes in general and quality of life in general?

    ReplyDelete