Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Psych setting

Today I visited a nearby psych hospital. I was really nervous before I got there, not knowing what to expect. The OT at the hospital took a lot of time with us, showing us around, answering questions, and telling us what the COTA's responsibilities were. She said she is always trying to get more COTA positions and how valuable they are to the hospital. This is a new facility that has been open for about three years. With budget cuts, the economy, and regulations changing all the time, they have had to make due with less money than they need. The OT had us sit in on a group session. She was combining two groups because several of the COTA's were out due to sickness and vacation. For the activity she had the group play "20 questions" because there were not any plans in place. Several of the pt's were very involved, a couple fell asleep, and some were not verbal at all. Seeing the different responses to the game was interesting. The saddest part of the time I spent there was when the OT showed us the seclusion rooms. She said they were very rarely used and only when a pt. was totally out of control and was a danger to themselves. I still don't know if the psych setting is a place I would want to work. I guess I would have to spend a lot more time there before I could make a definite decision. From the outside of the beautiful building it looks like mental health is a top priority in our society. Hearing some of the stories about how budget cuts are made, it makes me wonder where the priorities really are.
Click on the title for a list of psychiactric hospitals in NC.

No comments:

Post a Comment