Thursday, February 17, 2011

My First Experience With a Psychiatric Hosptial

Like my title says, I had my first encounter with a psychiatric hospital this week. I was surprised to know that it is operating with approximately 700 more employees than were ever intended to be there. The OT my group was with said that usually patients have to wait for beds, sadly most of the time in emergency rooms. It was a bit, ok a lot, daunting to walk down a hall with an enormous amount of patients and realize how outnumbered you are. I was surprised that even though occupational therapy was founded by the Arts and Crafts Movement for the "mentally insane" this particular facility that I went to rarely uses arts and crafts. I understand it's because of safety precautions, but it's still sad. As I was looking for potential triggers for possible patients, I came across an interesting website that links aspartame to mood disorders and some other hazards to our health. It may make you think twice next time you have that soda. Check it out!
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2007/09/26/aspartame_triggers_psychiatric_disorders.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment