Friday, February 18, 2011

Poverty Through Children's Eyes

I began my fieldwork last week at a homeless shelter for families. I originally didn't think it would be too big of a deal. After all, I've dealt with children all my life. I come from a family of 12, have close to 30 nieces and nephews, raised my own children and now even have a grandson. Somehow I did not really grasp how different these children could be from all the other children I've seen.

On the surface I saw ordinary children, doing ordinary things the typical way that kids do. They were distractible, talkative, full of questions and ideas. The differences came out in subtle ways. When they talked about the things they liked to do for example, they spoke of very simple things like playing outside, growing seeds, and making crafts (lucky for us!) Occasionally they mentioned the limitations of their lives but never outwardly seemed to feel self-pity.

Afterward I realized that most of the effects of being poor and homeless are not obvious things. Beyond clothes, toys and other possessions, the deeper more profound life-changing effects of poverty are unseen and likely will never get completely addressed. How do you measure the feelings of a child when they have lost their sense of security, of safety and normalcy? How can you fix the fear and uncertainty that they must carry with them every day? Often we see the resulting affects and have to deal with these things without considering the source. We treat ADD or anger, all sorts of misbehavior from talking back right to theft. What if we could prevent most of this by giving all children a happy, safe, secure, loving childhood?

I realize that the limited time we will have with these children will only have a small effect on them. I hope that our determination to teach them games and crafts that they can recreate with little or no resources will add some happiness to their lives. But most of all, I sincerely hope that they will find a way to thrive dispute this difficult situation they are in now.

The following article talks specifically about the statistics and research on the effects of poverty on children. http://social.jrank.org/pages/500/Poverty-Consequences-Poverty.html

1 comment:

  1. I can see how working with the homeless could seriously make you wonder about the impact you are making within their lives. But I think you have to remember, that one tiny bit of info, or one small activity could be the difference between a positive/negative experience. I look at it like this--You know how you read something and all of a sudden just one sentence grabs you, and puts everything into perspective. I just had this happen to me yesterday morning as I was reading over info. on Asperger's and Autism. I was struck by the statement that explained how "they seem to spiral into their own secret world". Powerful!!!I hope that each week when you go to your site, that you are able to reach one person. To be able to provide a smile or a gentle touch to someone whose safety and normalcy have been removed can hugely impact a person. A fun activity or game can provide laughter and socialization, along with a bit of normalcy. I have to think that any time the homeless are faced with concerned, caring people who are willing to provide a distraction from the reality of being homeless, it is a good thing!!!

    ReplyDelete