Friday, January 28, 2011

Giving And Receiving Feedback (positive and negative)

In lab a couple days ago we did an exercise where we took a piece of paper and folded it in half. On the inside we wrote what professional skills/behaviors we thought that we needed to work on. We then passed the papers around the room having other write on the outside what they thought we needed to work on. The whole class seemed to panic a little. It was hard to tell what people were more anxious about. What it giving others negative feedback? Or receiving it? I felt a little bit better once our instructor told us that we could also include positive feedback. All in all I think it was a beneficial experience. It was much easier for me to receive feedback from each other now that we know each other better. When we got feedback from the groups that we ran after only being together for the short summer semester I was a little offended when I read that someone said that I said "like" a lot. I knew it was true but I guess I just didn't want others to acknowledge it. The feedback that I received the other day I was ok with. I had discussed the issue of me talking and seeming more professional with the instructor and classmates on a few other occasions. I hope no one was offended by the exercise as it was designed to help us learn how to give and receive feedback when we get out into the "real world" as OTAs. Also I just want to say that it is one thing to receive feedback from peers, instructors or other professionals. It is a completely other thing to receive feedback from the check-out girl at Harris Teeter. I think if the check out girl had told me that I don't speak professionally I would be a little offended and probably embarrassed.

I've posted a link to a website about how to give and receive feedback. It has a checklist so that you can determine how good you are at both giving and receiving feedback. There is also trips for how to handle difficult feedback situations. (I hope the link works the way it is supposed to, if not I'll try to post it again)

3 comments:

  1. http://www.trainingsolutions.com/pdf/feedback.pdf

    Here is the link. Hopefully next time I try to post a link it'll work the way it is supposed it. Bare with me, I knew to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent resource. I love that it has both positive and negative feedback information that is very detailed. Your post about how you dealt with feedback in class is a good example of how constructive it can be.

    ReplyDelete