Friday, June 1, 2012

2nd day!


My session with the patient was mostly talking to get to know her although, she did have to use the bathroom so I got to assess how she gets up/sits down and moves around with her walker. When I first walked came she was waiting for someone to come clean up some water on the floor in the bathroom. I thought that was great use of safety awareness and her visual skills must be pretty good! I had to use time management skills  to make sure I could find out as much information as possible with my patient before PT came, observe a PT session and write my note. I did not feel as comfortable talking to the patient with her family in the room. They kept answering for her and I did not know how to get them to let her answer. I continue to learn that I get way too anxious going into new situations. They usually are way less stressful than I imagine them to be and afterwards I think “that wasn’t that bad…why was I freaking out so much?”

My favorite part of the session was just talking to my patient. She is very sweet and reminds me of my grandma. Also, my patient’s family kept implying that because she is 88 she doesn’t like games, crafts, or activities…we will prove them wrong!


My patient looked about the same as I saw her on paper. I had seen patients at wakemed that had hip replacements so I kind of had a picture of what she would look like.  I was only really surprised by her age! I was expecting her to look much older, be more frail and not move around as well as she did…she looked really good for 88!

No comments:

Post a Comment