Thursday, March 22, 2012

Difficult decisions about life without parole for juveniles

In response to this assignment, I think that it would be hard to make a decision about life without parole for juveniles who have committed murder.

When I first started to read the article, I wondered why anyone would want to put such a young person in jail for life, especially considering the point that was made in the article:  "juveniles have little impuse control or the capability to fully consider or appreciate the lifetime of consequences some of their actions hold."  I wonder how such a young person could understand what he is doing.

As I read more of the article, about the tragedy of the suffering of victims of violence as well as the suffering of their families, I was torn.  I wondered how I would feel in that situation and if I would want to see a murderer released.

My conclusion is that while I do not think that anyone who has committed murder should receive a light sentence, I do not agree that all juveniles who have committed murder should receive life sentences without parole.

My hope is that on Tuesday, when the Supreme Court considers the issue, the justices will carefully weigh all details and reach a decision that is fair for everyone involved.

The following Web site has links to more information.

http://www.criminaljusticecoalition.org/juvenile_justice/brain_development


No comments:

Post a Comment