Friday, March 9, 2012

Close to home


A blog is supposed to be personal and how you feel, so Imma just write the truth... When I first knew there were speakers from some organization called "NAMI" coming to speak with us the day before spring break, I really didn't think much of it. The day came for the speakers and my mind was definitely on getting out of class and home so I could catch up on sleep and other things. Once the two gentleman began to speak, I quickly realized this presentation was going to be personal for me. In fact, I even tried talking to one of the guys and all I could choke up was how much I could relate to them. I've been where these two guys were talking about, living out of my car, no future, and self-medicating. Many people had given up on me and considered my path in life as leading to prison or an early death. I just did not care about myself or what I was doing to those around me. I tried talking to psychologist, doctors, and taking medicines such as anti-depressants, but I still felt alone in the world and the drugs and alcohol would always win. I was hanging out with those who also only chased the next high and didn't care what would happen in the process. I had several run ends with authority and fortunately, and miraculously, through it all, nothing happened so bad as to ruin my record that would keep me from progressing in my education as an OTA. For some reason my family never gave up on me even with all there friends telling them I was no hope. One of my worst experiences was talking to my mother through a plexi-glass window while in jail. It's hard to know you personally are the reason why someone you love is broken, watching the tears run down her face and I couldn't even hug her...   All I could do was talk through a phone connected to her side. This was also the beginning of a change in my life, one that would eventually straighten me up and get me on the right path. So again, I can relate to the gentleman and I know how important it is to have someone to listen to and support you.

NAMI (http://www.nami.org/) is an excellent program that helps to bring mental illness and education to the public. They are a help group for those who suffer from mental illnesses, as well as a link between the public and those who suffer. They offer local self help groups, support and programs, as well as advocating to the public about how important it is for those affected with mental illnesses to seek treatment. It allows for those affected to get to know others whom are affected and to know that there are people out there that really do care. They also help those with whom have relationships with someone who is mentally ill. Unfortunately, until this presentation, I had no idea this program even existed. I've always heard of programs like AA and NA (http://www.aa.org/ & http://www.na.org/) which are help areas for those with problems from alcohol or narcotics (drugs). I know these programs work and that a lot of people have been helped through them, but they still aren't for everyone. NAMI is more of a well rounded help/education group that extends it's arm to those seeking treatment for more than the guy who can't put down the bottle. If one thinks of the phrase mental illness, they probably think bipolar, schizophrenia, or maybe even autism, yet, one probably does not realize conditions such as depression, suicide, eating disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, or even panic disorder are also considered mental illnesses. Unfortunately, a lot of people have already found there selves behind bars before they are diagnosed and begin treatment. It's easy to see that if someone is acting out crazy in a subway station, an officer might take there threats and actions the wrong way and arrest them and not even know they are, or could be, schizophrenic.

This isn't completely about NAMI and getting help, as I am an Occupational Therapy Assistant student and the reason we had NAMI visit was to further our broadening education. It really shows how important it is to to have someone to talk to. As an OTA, I could easily run into someone who has a mental illness, and instead of being 'scared' or classifying them as dangerous or 'crazy', this presentation opens up my mind to the possibilities that this could be a very good person, but is stuck in a bad place. Everyone needs the chance to be heard and to seek treatment. Even if the client is in a prison system, they still deserve to be treated as a human and should expect an OTA to be there to listen and help them. We cannot close ourselves off and must always keep an open mind no matter who we're seeing, or treating. One just never knows what could come out of a good, positive, therapeutic relationship. It's not always going to be easy, and sometimes we might disagree, but as an OTA, and a healthcare employee, we are not there to place judgement or to offer our personal feelings. We must always look out for the best and most affective treatment possible for each of our clients.


2 comments:

  1. Loved the write-up! A first hand account of despair and redemption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate so much to your post. I once lived in my car too! Thanks for tying in your personal account--it can be helpful to others.

    ReplyDelete