Tuesday, February 21, 2012

This week's FW was a good experience.  Even though I was still a little nervous, I did feel more comfortable having met the residents earlier and getting a feel for the place.  I'm sure as we continue  to focus on and  connect with the residents I will be more relaxed.
We are working on social skills as part of our goals which includes proper interaction among the other residents and the workers at the facility.  Also, we were told that this helps to prepare the residents for any activities outside the facility.
Choosing activities is a learning experience within itself because several of the residents are very low functioning and you're not sure what they may respond to (or if they will respond at all).  Using sensory stimulation seems to work best with this group.  At one point while working one on one with a resident I realized that the most response that I could get out of him was a smile.  It was wonderful !  We worked together  on our greeting card activity and he was responsive but not as responsive as when I would get him to look at me and smile.  It helped me see therapeutic use of self at work.
I look forward to our next session.  This a great group to work with and I'm sure we will all learn and grow from our time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment