Wednesday, February 22, 2012

In Every Mind There Is Magic

van-gogh-... So wow, it has finally started FIELDWORK!  This first field work placement we get to visit a site where each employee is assigned a specific job for their skill level.  We get there late in the day and everyone is either waiting to go home or waiting to see what these green OTAS have up their sleeve by the way of fun.  No pressure there right.  I had visited this site with the second years last summer and we had a blast so I was greatly looking forward to seeing some of the same faces again. 

We were greeted warmly with an abundance of "who are you?", "look what I have!", "what are we going to be doing?" etc.  Admittedly this was a little intimidating with 30+ adults looking at just the three of us.  It went "ok" that first day and gave each of us a lot more to consider for our next visit.  Overall we got most of the names down, a brief idea of their cognitive state and willingness to participate or not.

The second visit went much better in my opinion with more participation from those who needed a little more encouragement.  Of course there are the wonderfully outspoken set of folks that help keep it lively.  Than there are the in between set so to say who participate but who are rather reserved.  It is to them I was drawn most last week.  To see "my friend" laugh and tell me I don't follow directions at Simon says was amazing considering I hadn't heard her say a full word before that!  More and more come out of their shell to engage in our activities and that is so awesome :-)

It gives a lot to think about at  the end of the day like what activity can more people participate in?  How do I give just a little more 1:1 with certain ones that stay away from the group activities?  Every head is a different world we have all heard said - being allowed into to their world is such a privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment