Saturday, October 8, 2011

Peds assessments

This week our topic is to discuss whether or not OTAs should be allowed to give peds. assessments. OTAs can give MMT and ROM assessments, what is so different about peds. assessments? Most assessments follow a step by step protocol/procedure so if you practice enough eventually you'll get great at it and it'll come naturally. I think that as long as the OTA proves to be competent then they should be able to give assessments. To prove competent I think that the OTA needs to sit next to the supervising OT and give an assessment on a child. The OT will take notes on how the OTA does and then they will each go and score the assessment. They can then talk about the notes that the OT took and they can compare their scoring booklets, any discrepancies can be discussed. In the beginning yes this will take more time than just having the OT do it but in the long run more children will get services b/c after the OT does the eval. she can move on to the next kid who needs an eval. while the OTA does assessments with the 1st kid. I'm not 100% sure I want to works in peds. anymore (shocking, I know) but if I did I think I would be able to prove myself competent, I would just need to practice more.

I've provided a link to an AOTA article regarding OT in the schools. The first part of the article discusses what "OT practitioners" do in the schools. On the 2nd page of the article is states, "Occupational Therapists complete assessments..." It then goes back to discussing what practitioners can do. It is interesting to me b/c that is the only time OTAs were separated from OTs in this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment