Sunday, October 16, 2011

Assessments by OTAs

I found some research information regarding OTAs and assessments. The first research study I found was done by an OT student at UNC. She researched and wrote a thesis on novice OTAs and critical thinking skills. The thesis concluded that novice OTAs did not have the necessary critical thinking skills to be accurate in assessing clients. This thesis might be biased and only studying novice OTAs from a southeastern NC OTAs who graduated in 2006/07 and was not specific to the pediatric population. More experienced OTAs might be more effective in using critical thinking skills for assessments.

The next research study I found was a case study of an OTA with 16 years experience and the OTA's ability using critical thinking skills. The case study concluded, although the OTA was very skilled at performing interventions, the OTA was not very effective with critical thinking. This research was only documenting one OTA and may not reflect the experiences and abilities of other OTAs.

I was not able to find any research supporting OTAs completing assessments. OTAs are trained on basic assessment and can perform assessments if the OT deems it appropriate. OTs receive more training on the evaluation of assessment and how to interpret and determine therapy plans based on the assessment results.

Some assessments are fairly easy to do and require basic critical thinking skills like ROM and MMT. Other assessments require more critical thinking skills and have an added element of recording the client's behavior which make the assessments much more difficult to do like pediatric and cognitive assessments.

Although I have been trained to do assessment I think that performing an assessment with any element of interpretation and then relaying the information to the OT might lead to some miscommunication. I think some nuances of the assessment might be lost in the transfer of information to the OT. Lack of communication of small details could affect the outcome of the assessment. In addition, unless I did pediatric or cognitive assessment on a regular basis, I feel I would not be the best clinician to the the assessments. I would be competent to do uncomplicated assessment like ROM and MMT without much room for personal interpretation. I would prefer to leave more complex assessment up to the OT who has more training and expertise. Of course, the OT can determine what I am able to do with service competency and I would be more than willing to do whatever is asked of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment