Friday, September 7, 2012

My Five-Year-Old is Smarter Than Your Five-Year-Old

Are preschools worth the cost? Is preschool necessary for a child? These are questions that I am already struggling with and I don't even have a child yet. I don't think it would hurt a child to go to preschool and understand the structure of school and the teacher/student roles, but it's not like a child needs to be a perfect student in order to be in kindergarten. I'm not talking about educationally (I'll get to that), I mean behaviorally. A five year old is going to wiggle around, play with other children and maybe misbehave once in a while regardless. I feel that there's nothing that a parent can't do at home that a teacher can do at school. Such as teaching a child manners (listening, following directions, sharing, etc) and learning the basics that a five year old child should know (reading, writing, shapes, alphabet, etc). So what is the real benefit of preschool besides being around other children in a classroom setting? I'm not really sure...

My niece is four years old and is in preschool right now. Before she even went to preschool she was a very bright little girl. She already knew how to read, she knew her shapes, colors,  and letters. I know that she was excited to go to school and I'm sure my brother and sister-in-law didn't mind the couple hour break in their day when she went, but what would be the difference of going to preschool and going to a children's club or daycare? They said that they did it so she could be ready for kindergarten. What is so advanced about kindergarten that a child needs to be ready for!?

I feel like preschool is expected for children before kindergarten just like college is expected after high school. It's one of those things that people do just because everyone else does it and it's the "normal" thing to do at a certain point in life. But sometimes college isn't the best thing for people... so is preschool the best thing either?

I do think that children can get a better education at home verses in a classroom. I'm not sure if that is the "best" choice for a child because there are obvious disadvantages such as the social environment and learning about different people. However, I do believe that the lack in social environment in a classroom setting can be substituted in other ways. For example, children can join clubs, sports, Sunday school, and home school parents can teach their children together. Even if a parent chooses not to home school their children throughout their entire schooling, preschool is optional and as long as the child is getting opportunity to learn and socialize before kindergarten I don't see the point (right now).

Below is an article about the same feelings that a mom has about sending her child to preschool. The expert answer gives very good insight about the decision on whether or not to send a child to preschool. 


On the contrary, this sight states why preschool is important for children and the benefits of it.


I know that when it comes time to make that decision we will ultimately do what's best for our children. If our child can have a similar environment that a preschool can offer than I'd rather save my money and continue to teach my child at home. On the other hand, if preschool really is necessary than my child will be going to preschool. I'm not saying this is the best choice for all families. Of course some parents work and may live in rural areas where a child may not be able to interact with other children therefore preschool is very important. Either way, a child should have the basics of learning and socializing whether that's through preschool or other opportunities that a parent can provide for a child.

The preschool that I observed on Wednesday was the first preschool that I have ever been to so I didn't have anything to compare it to. It was very small, one class that I observed only had four children in it ages 3-4. I noticed that each age group was just a little more advanced than the age prior which I felt was appropriate. The activity that I noticed on the schedule the most was called "center time." This is where the children got to choose a center that they wanted to play at in the classroom. The centers included art, science, homemaking, sand and water, reading, and blocks. The children did this for an hour at a time twice a day. This gave the children an opportunity to be independent and play freely in an area of interest to them. The children were from all different cultures (African American, Hispanic, Caucasian and Indian). I did see a lot of structure in the classroom and training to be in the student role for the children. Again, I have nothing to compare it to yet so my opinion is kind of blithe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment