Friday, May 25, 2012

Silver Alert!


I'll admit, when I started this program I told myself I did not want to work in a SNF or any other type of "old person's home" but the closer and closer it gets to starting this fieldwork the more open I'm getting to it. It's not that I don't like the older population, I actually adore them, I think it's the thought of taking care of them that scares me a little. With the elder population they just seem to fragile and come with many health problems. However, I really do love the older population and I think they enjoyment of spending time with them will get rid of the fears I have about the OTA aspect of it.

 I am looking forward to getting more hands on experience and learning more about how to work with patients and utilize our skills. Since I am more resistant to working in a SNF I am hoping that I will really like it and get a great experience out of it. One thing that I learned this week was about the rights that residents have, I want to acknowledge those rights as much as possible as an OTA. If I do work in a SNF or any other type of residental home I want to make my patients feel as much at home as possible and respect their needs and freedoms to live their life to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment