Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ms. T

I have spoken about Ms T before. She is this incredibly sweet, beautiful , little elderly woman who had totally surprised me on the second week of FW. When I first met Ms. T she engaged in about as normal a conversation as could be. She spoke of all very relevant things, such as dressing for the weather, how Friday is always a big day for Bingo, and that church was in two more days. Imagine how surprised I was when I met up with Ms. T on week 2 of FW. She presented such a different scenario. She asked me @ 10 times what day it was, are we going to church today, is her husband getting ready to take her, why is he taking so long to get ready.... She then showed me repeatedly how she shuffles her feet while watching TV at home!! I saw nothing that would have even eluded to the fact that she has dementia, and is delusional!! At our first meeting, she appeared just as lucid as could be. She spoke very well, and even seemed to be up on a few current events. When I asked her how old she was, she answered in a very matter-of-fact tone. She told me that she was 25, born in 1985!! Everyone at this facility just goes right along with her. They suggest that maybe her husband is just taking a nap, and that he will be ready shortly. They remind her that church is in two more days. They compliment her on her choice of clothing, reminding her that the bright colors work well with her!! All this is done so as not to cause this sweet woman any anxiety or stress. For additional reading on the differences and causes of dementia and dilusional behavior, click on the attached site.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your experience... I never knew a person w/ Dementia could go from 1 extreme to another, along w/ delusions. I haven't had much experience w/ folks w/ this diagnosis, but I'm learning more and more about it - I've met 2 pts, 1 at the late stage who was totally out of it, and 1 who was sometimes confused. I thought the latter pt was just quiet who let his wife do most of the talking. The OT I'm working with pointed out after the appt that this is a sign of dementia - being withdrawn & unemotional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that amazing how week to week they can change so extremely? It's like she was in a different body with a different mind. Is her husband still around? If he is, how does he respond to here when she makes comments like this? I wonder younger people trigger a memory when she was younger and that's were she goes, back to 25?

    ReplyDelete